SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS CONTEST ARE NOW OPEN
A poetry contest from WA Poets Inc. (WAPI) for original and unpublished* poems of up to 60 lines, of any theme, for an opportunity to be published in the biennial anthology Brushstrokes (2020-21) and to win:
First Prize $1,001
Second Prize $299
2 x Highly Commended Awards
2 x Commended Awards
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS MIDNIGHT, FRIDAY 25th JUNE 2021
All entries must be submitted by email as a MS word document, preceded by the Entry Form, to firstname.lastname@example.org with your Surname and RS in the subject line.
By entering the 2021 Ros Spencer Poetry Contest, the entrant agrees to the Terms and Conditions of Entry, which must be read in association with the Entry Form.
The Ros Spencer Poetry Prize is open to all poets and is subject to a fee of $10 for one entry, $20 for 2 entries, $25 for 3 entries and $30 for 4 entries. An entry consists of one original, unpublished* poem of no more than 60 lines.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS CONTEST ARE NOW OPEN
Payments may be made by:
Click on the “Pay with PayPal” button below the number of entries you wish to submit and follow the prompts (click on the credit card image to pay with your credit card):
Ros Spencer Contest – 1 entry
One poem no more than 60 lines
Ros Spencer Contest – 2 entries
Two poems no more than 60 lines each
Ros Spencer Contest – 3 entries
Three poems no more than 60 lines each
Ros Spencer Contest – 4 entries
Four poems no more than 60 lines each
Cheque or money order payable to WA Poets Inc and post to 9 Bushland Retreat, Carramar. WA 6031. Please print your name on the back of money orders.
Electronic Funds Transfer: Bendigo Bank, Account name: WA Poets Inc. BSB: 633000, Account number:128245552. Please include your surname and RS in the bank deposit reference. Email the WA Poets Inc. Treasurer, Ian Casey, at email@example.com with the amount deposited and the date of deposit. This is important for our record keeping.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS CONTEST ARE NOW OPEN
- *unpublished refers to poems that have NOT appeared in print or online as part of an electronic journal or poetry blog that specialises in publishing other people’s poetry.
- An independent judge will be responsible for judging entries and ranking selections for inclusion in the anthologyBrushstrokes (2020-21).
- All entries will be judged anonymously (each poem will be allocated a unique reference number).
- The name of the judge will not be revealed to entrants until after judging is complete.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- No entry will be considered for judging until payment has been received.
- Prizes do not include accommodation or travel costs.
- A maximum of four poems by one poet can be submitted for judging.
- Entries must be formatted using 12 point Times New Roman font with single line spacing, not exceed 60 lines in length.
- An open theme applies to this contest.
- All entries must be submitted by email as a word document, preceded by the Entry Form, by midnight (Perth, W.A. time) on Friday, 25th June 20201 to firstname.lastname@example.org with your Surname and RS in the subject line.
- Multiple entries can be submitted in the one email but each entry must be submitted as a separate MS word attachment. The poets name must be present at the end of each entry.
- Entrants must not infringe on existing copyright.
- In submitting an entry, the contestant agrees that WAPI is not responsible for any infringement on copyright that may occur and indemnifies WAPI against any legal action that may arise because of such breach.
- Applicants under 18 years require the written consent of their parent or guardian to enter.
- Each entrant can win one prize only.
- Entrants will be notified of the prizewinners by email.
- WAPI accepts no responsibility for entries that are late, lost or misdirected, nor is WAPI responsible in any way for entries that are stolen or misappropriated.
- Prizes will be awarded at a special presentation as part of the 2021 Perth Poetry Festival, 7 pm Sunday 19th September 2021, at the Queens Building (level 1, 97 William St.), in Perth, Western Australia.
- Prizewinners will be invited to read their winning entry on stage at this event.
- All prizewinners agree to have their winning entry posted online at https://wapoets.com/.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS RELATED TO THE ANTHOLOGY
- Selected entries will be published, without payment or other compensation (other than a considerable discount when purchasing copies of the anthology), in the biennial anthology Brushstrokes (2020-21), to be sold as a fundraiser for WA Poets Inc and launched in November, 2021.
- All contest entrants will be eligible for a considerable discount when purchasing copies of the anthology.
- Poets have the option of opting their entry out of consideration for inclusion in the anthology Brushstrokes (2020 – 21) without prejudice.
- Entries for publication will be accepted “as is” or “subject to editorial review” in consultation between the judge and entrant. Entrants will have the opportunity to consent or reject suggested editorial changes.
- The judge will have the final say on which poems are included in the anthology Brushstrokes (2020 – 21) at their discretion.
- Wherever a work is republished, Brushstrokes (2020 – 21) must be cited as the place of first publication.
- Copyright of entries remains with the poet.
- Copyright of the anthology remains with the publisher, WA Poets Publishing
*****Please copy and paste the following into a new word document, complete the details required, include your poem/s and email to email@example.com with your Surname and RS in the subject line. Multiple entries can be included in the one email but each entry must be as a separate MS word attachment. The electronic receipt of this Entry Form is deemed to be equivalent to the form being signed by the entrant. ****
THE ROS SPENCER POETRY PRIZE 2021
SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS CONTEST WILL OPEN ON 20TH MARCH 2021
I certify that the work entered in this competition is my own, is unpublished* and has NOT appeared in print or online as part of an electronic journal or poetry blog that specialises in publishing other people’s poetry, will not be offered for publication before the announcement of the awards, and has not won a prize in any previous competition. By entering this competition, I understand I have the option to make my work available for publication, without payment or other compensation (other than considerable discount when purchasing copies of the anthology), in the anthology Brushstrokes (2020-21). If my work is accepted “subject to editorial review” then I will have the opportunity to consent or reject suggested changes. The judge will have the final say on which poems are included in the anthology at their discretion. I understand that copyright will at all times remain with me; the author of the work, and copyright of the anthology will remain with WA Poets Publishing.
I have read the conditions of entry of this competition and my submission of the following poem/s signifies that I agree to and abide by them.
please mark your preference
☐ Yes, please consider my entry for possible inclusion in the anthology Brushstrokes (2020 – 21). I understand that my poem, if selected, may be subject to editing suggestions as in the Terms and Conditions
☐ No thanks, please exclude my entry from inclusion in the anthology Brushstrokes (2020 – 21). Selecting this option will not be detrimental to your entry being eligible for a contest prize.
Town or Suburb:
State: Postcode: Phone:
Parent/Guardian’s Consent for applicants under 18 years old.
I, ____________________________________________(enter name) of the above address, give consent for my child aged _______________________(enter age of child under 18 years) to enter the Ros Spencer Poetry Prize.
(Please highlight appropriate item)
One Poem: $10 Two Poems $20 Three Poems $25 Four Poems $30
Payment by: Paypal Cheque/money order EFT
* ‘unpublished‘ refers to poems that have NOT appeared in print or online as part of an electronic journal or poetry blog that specialises in publishing other people’s poetry.
Paste your poem/s (with title) and include your name at the end of each poem (this will be removed by the contest administrator and an identifying code added for judging).