A poetry contest from WA Poets Inc. (WAPoets) for original and unpublished* poems of up to 60 lines, of any theme, for an opportunity to be published in the anthology Brushstrokes 2023 and to win:
First Prize $1,001
Second Prize $299
2 x Highly Commended Awards
2 x Commended Awards
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS MIDNIGHT, FRIDAY 23rd JUNE 2023
All entries must be submitted using the submission tool below and as MS word documents.
By entering the 2023 Ros Spencer Poetry Contest, the entrant agrees to the Terms and Conditions of Entry, which must be read in association with the Entry Form.
The Ros Spencer Poetry Prize is open to all poets and is subject to a fee of $10 for one entry, $20 for 2 entries, $25 for 3 entries and $30 for 4 entries. An entry consists of one original, unpublished* poem of no more than 60 lines.
Submit now via Submittable
- *unpublished refers to poems that have NOT appeared in print or online as part of an electronic journal or poetry blog that specialises in publishing other people’s poetry.
- An independent judge will be responsible for judging entries and ranking selections for inclusion in the anthology Brushstrokes 2023.
- All entries will be judged anonymously (each poem will be allocated a unique reference number).
- The name of the judge will not be revealed to entrants until after judging is complete.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entry fees are non-refundable.
- No entry will be considered for judging until payment has been received.
- Prizes do not include accommodation or travel costs.
- A maximum of four poems by one poet can be submitted for judging.
- Entries must be formatted using 12 point Times New Roman font with single line spacing and not exceed 60 lines in length.
- Please DO NOT include any names, material or cover page that could identify you as the author in the submission document/s. Kindly verify your submission documents for this before uploading. Submission/s will be disqualified if you compromise this.
- An open theme applies to this contest.
- All entries must be submitted using the submission tool below and as word documents by midnight (Perth, W.A. time) on Friday, 23 June 2023.
- Multiple entries can be submitted in one submission but each entry must be submitted as a separate MS word attachment.
- Entrants must not infringe on existing copyright.
- In submitting an entry, the contestant agrees that WAPoets is not responsible for any infringement on copyright that may occur and indemnifies WAPoets against any legal action that may arise because of such breach.
- Each entrant can win one prize only.
- Entrants will be notified of the prizewinners by email.
- WAPoets accepts no responsibility for entries that are late, lost or misdirected, nor is WAPoets responsible in any way for entries that are stolen or misappropriated.
- Prizes will be awarded at a special presentation as part of the 2023 Perth Poetry Festival, at a time and place to be determined, in Perth, Western Australia.
- Prizewinners will be invited to read their winning entry on stage at this event.
- All prizewinners agree to have their winning entry posted online at http://wapoets.com/.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS RELATED TO THE ANTHOLOGY
- Selected entries will be published, without payment or other compensation (other than a considerable discount when purchasing copies of the anthology), in the anthology Brushstrokes 2023, to be sold as a fundraiser for WAPoets and launched, at a time and place to be determined, as part of the Perth Poetry Festival.
- All contest entrants will be eligible for a considerable discount when purchasing copies of the anthology.
- Poets have the option of opting their entry out of consideration for inclusion in the anthology Brushstrokes 2023 without prejudice.
- Entries for publication will be accepted “as is” or “subject to editorial review” in consultation between the judge and entrant. Entrants will have the opportunity to consent or reject suggested editorial changes.
- The judge will have the final say on which poems are included in the anthology Brushstrokes 2023 at their discretion.
- Wherever a work is republished, Brushstrokes 2023 must be cited as the place of first publication.
- Copyright of entries remains with the poet.
- Copyright of the anthology remains with the publisher, WA Poets Publishing