WA Poets Inc (WAPI) was established in 2006 as an incorporated, not-for-profit organisation managed and operated by volunteers.
WAPI is dedicated to the promotion, presentation and professional development of poets and poetry in Western Australia, and presenting Western Australian poetry to local, national and global audiences.
WAPI has a strong commitment to promote poetry in new and innovative ways, to increase poetry audiences and to raise public awareness of the contemporary relevance of poetry. WAPI aims to strengthen and build relationships between local, national and global arts communities.
The development and promotion of poets and poetry
- Establish WA Poets Inc as the umbrella organisation for poetry activities in Western Australia
- Encourage, support and develop poets and poetry by providing competitions, readings, events and workshops locally and regionally in Western Australia
- Create inclusive and thriving community through poetry events
- Build alliances and partnerships with other local and regional poetry and art organisations
- Support diversity through mentoring and showcasing disadvantaged and marginalized poets/ voices
- Promote poetry as fostering wellness
- Increase awareness of poetry as an art form within Western Australia by including poetry in public places and spaces
- Preserve and share Western Australia’s unique poetry culture and heritage
- Collaborate with other arts and Government agencies to deliver poetry workshops and events.
- Maintain a knowledge of the market and industry of poetry
- Organise an annual Poetry Festival
- Organise public poetry events throughout the year, independently or in conjunction with other community and writers’ groups
- Showcase members poetry in the e-journal Creatrix
- Encourage and foster developing and emerging poets
- Form partnerships with community groups and organisations to highlight creative connections between poetry, visual arts and other forms of media
- Liaise with national and international poets and poetry groups to form reciprocal arrangements for mutual benefit
- Develop a poetry culture in WA that will help promote local poets and improve opportunities for professional development
- Provide avenues for poets at all levels to engage with a broader public audience
- Encourage active participation by the public in local writers’ groups and expose them to the personal and social benefits of poetry writing and performance
To email WA Poets Inc click here
Level 2, Room 33
Bon Marche Arcade
80 Barrack St
Thursday 10am–2pm or by appointment.
9 Bushland Rtt
Western Australia. 6031
Gary De Piazzi
Social Media/Publicity Officer
Peter Jeffery OAM
Associate Committee Members
Veronica Lake, Primo Lux
Christine Della Vedova, Zan Ross, Tineke Van der Eecken, Woman Scream
Outline of WAPI Structure
download a pdf of WAPI Structure