A poetry contest from WA Poets Inc., proudly supported by Geoff Spencer and family in recognition of the courage, character and commitment of Ros Spencer, for original and unpublished* poems of up to 60 lines with an open theme.
“Like a leaf falling from a tree,
She just let go
And the Sun and the Moon shone forever” Rev. Safire Rose
First Prize $701
Second Prize $299
2 x Highly Commended Awards
2 x Commended Awards
DEADLINE FOR ENTRIES IS MIDNIGHT, FRIDAY 28TH JUNE 2019
All entries must be submitted by email as a MS word document, preceded by the Entry Form (see below), to email@example.com with your Surname and RS Contest in the subject line.
The Ros Spencer Poetry Prize is open to all poets and is subject to a fee of $10 for one entry, $20 for 2 entries, $25 for 3 entries and $30 for 4 entries. An entry consists of one original, unpublished poem of no more than 60 lines.
Payment Options. Payments may be made by:
- PayPal or Credit Card
Click on the Buy Now button under the number of entries you wish to enter and follow the prompts.
- Cheque or money order payable to WA Poets Inc and post to 9 Bushland Retreat, Carramar. WA 6031. Please print your surname and RS Contest on the back of the cheque or money order.
- Electronic funds transfer: Bendigo Bank, Account name: WA Poets Inc. BSB: 633000, Account number: 128245552. Please include your surname and RS Contest in the bank deposit reference. Email the WA Poets Inc. Treasurer, Ian Casey, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the amount deposited and the date of deposit. This is important for our record keeping.
- * unpublished refers to poems that have NOT appeared in print or online as part of an electronic journal or poetry blog that specialises in publishing other people’s poetry.
- An independent judge will be responsible for judging entries.
- All entries will be judged anonymously.
- The name of the judge will not be revealed to entrants until after judging is complete.
- The judge’s decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Entry fees are non refundable.
- No entry will be considered for judging until after payment has been received and a receipt has been issued.
- Prizes do not include accommodation or travel costs.
- A maximum of four poems by one poet can be submitted for judging.
- Entries must be formatted using 12 point Times New Roman font with single line spacing, not exceed 60 lines in length with the theme to be ‘open.’
- All entries must be submitted by email as a word document, preceded by the Entry Form, by midnight (Perth, W.A. time) on Friday, 28th June 2019 to email@example.com with your surname and RS Contest in the subject line.
- Multiple entries can be submitted in the one email but each must be submitted as a separate MS word attachment.
- Entrants must not infringe on existing copyright.
- In submitting an entry the contestant agrees that WAPI is not responsible for any infringement on copyright that may occur and indemnifies WAPI against any legal action that may arise because of such breach.
- Each entrant can win one prize only.
- Entrants will be notified of the prizewinners by email.
- WAPI accepts no responsibility for entries that are late, lost or misdirected, nor is WAPI responsible in any way for entries that are stolen or misappropriated.
- Prizes will be awarded at a special presentation as part of the 2018 Perth Poetry Festival.
- Prizewinners will be invited to read their winning entry on stage; 7 pm Sunday 18th August 2019, at Queens Building, 79 William St. Perth W.A. as part of the 2019 Perth Poetry Festival
- Applicants under 18 years require the written consent of their parent or guardian to enter.
- All prizewinners agree to have their winning entry posted on the WA Poets website.
*****Please copy and paste the following into a new word document, complete the details required, include your poem and email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your surname and RS Contest in the subject line. Multiple entries can be included in the one email but each entry must be as a separate MS word attachment. The electronic receipt of this Entry Form is deemed to be equivalent to the form being signed by the entrant. ****
By entering this competition I certify that the work entered in this competition is my own, is unpublished,* has not won a prize in any previous competition and will not be offered for publication before the announcement of the awards.
I have read the conditions of entry of this competition and my submission of the following poem/s signifies that I agree to and abide by them.
Town or Suburb:
Parent/Guardian’s Consent for applicants under 18 years old.
I, ____________________________________________(enter name) of the above address, give consent for my child aged _______________________(enter age of child under 18 years) to enter the Ros Spencer Poetry Prize.
Please highlight appropriate item
One Poem: $10 Two Poems $20 Three Poems $25 Four Poems $30
Payment by: Paypal Cheque/money order EFT
* unpublished refers to poems that have NOT appeared in print or online as part of an electronic journal or poetry blog that specialises in publishing other people’s poetry.
Paste your poem/s (with title) and include your name at the end of each poem (this will be removed by the contest administrator and an identifying code added for judging).