WA Poets Inc is pleased to announce that applications for our two year Emerging Poets Program (2021-2023) are now open. This project is run in conjunction with Fremantle Press, KSP Writer’s Centre, Fellowship of Australian Writers WA and Peter Cowan Writers’ Centre and is supported by the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries.
This opportunity is open to all emerging West Australian poets who are working toward their FIRST major publication. Amazing opportunities offered in this program include: access to eight free workshops curated by WA Poets Inc; access to a series of workshops curated by Fremantle Press; a six month mentorship with an established poet of your choosing; inclusion in a group anthology; plus the opportunity to read at specific events at Perth Poetry Festival 2022.
We strongly encourage applications from everyone, especially people who identify as First Nation, CALD, as living with a disability or who are LGBTIQA+ or who are 50+ in age. If you wish to apply, please submit:
– A 300 word synopsis of your manuscript you are working to complete. Tell us the themes and symbols of this work, why it’s important. Please DO NOT include your name anywhere in the synopsis. But give us your working title(s), your passion, your vision.
– THREE poems that best represent your skill as a poet. We will only accept up to FIVE PAGES MAX of poetry per applicant. Please DO NOT include your name on the poems.
Poets will be judged anonymously on the merit of the above documents. However, in case you are accepted, you will also have to include in your submission:
– A 100-150 word bio written in the third person.
– A hi-res author photo. Include any image / photographer credits IN THE FILE NAME.
– A one-page CV. This is optional. CV’s will be used in any tie-breaker decisions and, as such, your personal details will be redacted from them as necessary. However, the one-page CV allows our Program Manager to better understand you, your past and your potential, if you are selected. Include in your one-page CV any relevant education, awarded prizes, major publications, major festivals appeared at or performances.
Please submit your synopsis, poetry, bio, author photo and optional one-page CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm (AWST) on WEDNESDAY AUGUST 25TH 2021.
PLEASE NOTE: You will only be accepted into ONE of the four Emerging Writers Programs. Successful WAPI EWP applicants will be encouraged to take out membership to WAPI. All workshop opportunities are compulsory. WAPI’s weekend workshops will be 3hrs long and take place once a month from October 2021 to May 2022. Mentoring will begin in approximately July or August 2022. You do not need to choose your mentor now.
The two-year program is in response to the recent Writing Sector Review and is funded by the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries (the organisation the former Department of Culture and Arts has been integrated into) and Lotterywest.